Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Black Mountain Ride

I've got to tell you, I am taking everything back that I have ever said about four strokes. This thing rips. Three feet of fresh powder and point the 1100 t at a hill and  nothing had bettter get in it's way cause there is nothing  stopping this boosted Cat.  Up hill through the trees and around the side hill as well. A stock M8 is not going to negotiate the three foot trench it leaves nor will the M8 follow making it's own track. I guess that shows the difference in the boosted horse power rating of 177 against the M8's altitude ajusted horse power rating of about 125 or 130(estimated of course). Now a boosted M8 might show a different result, but that is not what we are talking about here. What I am talking about is that this 1100 4 stroke has got some serious potential. I wonder what the possibilities are with a Boondocker Hijacker box? Rocky, are you listening?

OK, now I've got to get a little critical. The horizonal steering sucks if I can be brutally honest! The sled has some power, doesn't come some extra pounds. The steering just makes it feel heavier than it really is. I've been told that maybe Arctic Cat is releasing an accessory verticle post kit. I've got one thing to say, awesome. If those engineers put their minds to it they can come up with pretty cool stuff. I am sure that this sled would be veery managable with this upgrade. The thing is the horizontal steering is not ergnomically correct and it wore me down in a hurry, not to mention the damage it does to my elbows during a side hill manuever. So how about it, have you guys at Arctic got a post for my sled so we can put this to rest. Really this is what makes the difference in a mountain sled and a sit down trail sled. Which brings  up the next issue, the seat. I know, I know,consumer demand has been for high rise seats and they have been getting higher and higher each year. So lets ask mountain consumers since this is a mounatin sled and this should return a different result. I found that i was tripping over the seat all day long. This takes alot of extra energy and wear a guy down in a hurry especially if you find yourself fighting the steering as well. Now I am certainly not a short guy, but I am not real tall either. My inseam is 31", 32" with cowboy boots on and I am sure the 6'4" and taller crowd will be just fine with the stock seat(I'm talking about you Ryan Harris). Don't worry, for those of you who are interested I will for sure have a Rasmussen backcountry seat available for your new ride.

I had a few guys out today to help with the shake down, among them was my good friend and protege' Tony Jenkins. He has been on a M8 turbo all year and I got to tell you that he wasn't just a little bit impressed. Infact he rode it for most of the day. The1100t came with no fuel for reserve, i guess you have got to feed the power.

Check back tomorrow for a report on the Pro Climb 800.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I thought maybe the engineers would have taken some more of your input on building the mountain sled. Oh well I guess I will be buying accessories. Did you get any clips of your ride yesterday? Waiting for the review on the 800 to verify I spring ordered the wrong sled. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like four-strokes have come a long way. How about a diesel or maybe a hybrid with solar pannels. Just kidding. Keep the info coming, it's fun to hear about the new sleds and new technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to ride a M1100T with a vertical steering kit and 38 in wide a arms last week, WHOLE different animal, very nice machine with a lot of WOW power

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been riding with the horizontal over motor steering on my m8 turbo for 2 years and i love that steering, so guess its different from person to person and how you ride. I agree that the vertical is easier to steer in tight trees and sidehilling but the horizontal pots you more forward for jumping dropping and climbing.
    Wish i could try that 1100T out, think im going to love it!

    // K.J

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...the verticle post in my opinion is what makes a backcountry sled a backcountry sled. It allows me to pull off some sick down hill side hill manuevers that maybe can be done with a horizontal post, but not without a lot of extra work. The horizontal post is preferred when your ride technique keeps you with each foot on each respective running board and you don't make rule of riding with the sled rolled up on it's edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bret, what do you mean by "horizontal post"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The positioning of the top post in the steering system that the bars or riser block clamps to. Summit XP and Yamaha Nytro = Horizontal post. Polaris Pro and Cat M series = Vertical post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you think of the wider front end for side hilling in the tight trees? The other manufactures are getting narower and it makes a big difference. I am also concerned about the weight. Nothing listed, the lighter weight of the polaris is really noticeable while riding.

    ReplyDelete